iframes for continuous play

theroadthere

Preface: I understand the absurdity of what I am trying to do. I understand that iframes are outdated. I understand that from a developer's POV, continuous music hijacks the user's experience. But this is what the musician wants, and this is what I have to do to finish this site. So, that being said, I will be enormously grateful for any help. Also, please bear with me, as I am fairly new to this industry.

CMS: Wordpress.org
Test Site: yellowdays.info

Question: How can I iframe each page, in order to insure the Reverbnation player in the footer runs seamlessly as the user navigates through the pages?

theroadthere

It is a wordpress.org site. I host through FatCow. I do have access to FTP, etc.

Right now I have an iframe for the Reverbnation player in the footer.php file

But I'm under the impression that if I iframe out the contact page, calendar page, etc.. separately, then the player should play continuously across pages..

Just trying to figure out if this is true, and if so How to facilitate it..?

Is this a wordpress.org hosted site? If so, I don't think you'll be able to do that.

theroadthere

Yes, this is generally, about where I get lost. I have this iframe:

<iframe src="http://yellowdays.info"></iframe>

or

<iframe src="http://yellowdays.info/contact"></iframe>

But for some reason, the tutorials that I have seen on W3 and otherwise..
Maybe I'm just missing it.. But I don't understand where to put that line of code.. I tried putting it in the page.php file, in the footer.php file..

:/
this is probably a dumb question, but I do appreciate your time and consideration.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
there is a point in every developers career when they get a client like this.

what you should do is buy a gun, load it and shoot your customer in the foot, because that's what he is effectively doing to his business/music career.

alternatively, as a professional, offer him a better solution.

alternatively if the client is this much of a trouble, then walk away, its sometimes easier to do that.

last option and I'd say this is the one you've gone down.
suck it up, do as the customer says (and never think, hear or speak of this job again)

the last option is the most difficult, most time consuming, most self-esteem destructing and costs you profit you could otherwise have with a less painful client. over the years my filtering is getting more and more tough. this person would have been filtered out before we got to the dotted line.

chrishirst

Staff member
iframe is NOT what you need to use, as the iframe content would be reloaded, therefore restarted on each URL load.

You would have to use a frameset, with the player embedded in a static frame while the content lontent loads into a different frame.

The "better" way do this is to use a "detachable window" for the player, which is the method that Internet radio stations use.

You create a document that contains the player, the player controls and a way to close the window, then open this URL with a javascript window.open() method and declaring the window size in the open() method parameters.

This leaves a "floating window" that will continue play until the user actually closes it.