How should a Web Designer's cover letter look?

LouTheDesigner

So I've been doing freelance for a while, and though I might try out working for an actual company. What are some things that should be mentioned in my cover letter?

Here is what I have so far: The first sentence is from an old coverletter, obviously:

To Whom It May Concern,

I was excited to read about the Web Developer opening on the Dice web site dated September 4, 2008. In reviewing my resume, you will find that my intensive background and experience in Flash, HTML and the Adobe Suite will prove to be an asset for your company. My years of college experience and my short time of freelance work for private clients in animation and web development make me a worthy candidate for this position.

My current work in this area, which can be viewed through my on-line portfolio (ficodesigns.com) clearly parallels the qualifications you are seeking. My specific areas of expertise include Adobe Creative Suite and Autodesk Maya.

My expertise includes an ability to work with both Macintosh and Windows environments. In addition, I have a minor in philosophy, which I consider a transferrable skill to this field especially in my ability for critical thinking, problem solving and sound reasoning.

An interview may be arranged at any mutually convenient date. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Sincerely,

One heck of a badass

(Just kidding about that last part. )

wetgravy

mine is similar. I usually just include; 1. where i saw the position offered and my interest in the position, 2. an VERY brief overview of why i'm qualified for the job, 3. a reference to where to find my portfolio at. and 4. a quick summation and best way to contact.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
with a design job, it all comes down to the portfolio, and I did not see any sites on that portfolio page you mentioned.
my intensive background
I would probably use the word extensive over intensive

camilo.nevarez

what is that a form letter your gonna send out to design houses? dude, just be specific to each compnay, what they need are looking for and i like "my intestine background" sounds like a butcher.