How much should this website cost me?

henrikjt

How much should this website cost me?
Please look at this site and let me know how much it should have cost me:
http://thefloribunda.com/

The photos was taken by my own photographer and given to the web designer. The photos had been photoshoped but not resized for the website.

The web designer created the website and used the photos and floor plans that we supplied her with.

My question is, what is a fair price for what she did?

Thanks

ahk2chan

Well, the web site just gives me a feeling that it is very template-like (that is, a very standard CSS template)

Now, I believe all the content is provided to her (photos, writing...) , besides your site is very similar to my friend's site (but yours has more content), it costs him about $500. So I would say yours may range from $700 to $900??

adx

So I would say yours may range from $700 to $900??
I reckon most web design geeks keep a few simple blank layouts on their computers that are ready to go. Your page only has about 5 colors, no apparent background images or server side scripts, a little bit of flash (Which could just as well be done with JavaScript) and a simple text banner. If she was given the images and the text beforehand, I can't imagine that this should take more than a day. All you really need is to copy the same page and paste in the appropriate text/images on each one. Who on earth could charge $700 to $900 for that? I don't know what you paid for it, but I'd probably do it for a Benjamin.

neutrino

The site, regardless of anything else - does what it needs to, colors etc are fine, it's clean and effective, straight forward navigation, and gives the visitor all they require.
It's good.
Obviously you'd have had to supply the images and text, but it's been put together well.
as for cost.... it'd be interesting to know what was charged.... and depending how many "versions" were tried out initially, before finally arriving at the final layout, it could have taken several days, again depending whether you had a clear specific idea of what you wanted,... the final web site as it is now.... if it were a "this is what I want"... yeah.. a couple of days perhaps, maybe 3 to get it uploaded and fully checked over, with some layout try this try that.. add a few more days.... I might have done something like this for under $500, not a whole lot under..... and add a bit more if design tests(and time) were done, leading to the final design.
It Is, no-matter-what, an effective clear, easy to navigate, informative site - that, as I said - does what is required, no visitor could complain. you got a nice site, and that's what matters, a l l that matters.

Cyllya

The company I work for probably would have charged $600 to $800 for a site like that, not using a template.

That site probably didn't take much time to make, relative to most sites. But in order for a web developer to give you a guaranteed price up front (assuming that's what you wanted and what she did), she has to base the price not on how long it actually takes but on how long she has reason to believe it will take. If she pads the price out because she anticipates you'll request dozens of revisions, I think it's fair game for her to still charge the agreed price even if you decide the first draft is perfect.

While I agree with neutrino that the site is perfectly good, I think that if you paid more than $600 and don't like this design, you might talk to her about changes you'd like. Unless you've already told her the project is done, etc.

Wickedself

It was a pretty easy-to-make site. Without the flash image gallery I would have charged 200$-250$ but with the flash the maximum would be 300$-400$.

ahk2chan

Who on earth could charge $700 to $900 for that? I don't know what you paid for it.
I won't either... but this friend didn't consult with me before hand and I was kind of mad at him too :( I told him to give me $200 I can make one better than that for him :D

adx

I told him to give me $200 I can make one better than that for him :D

Ha, I'm sure that made him happy ;) I mean, the half grand he laid out is as much as I'm paying for a week in the canary islands. Can't wait 'till next saturday! I'm sure people who design web sites for a living need to charge a certain amount to survive. Though it's a lot better to have a friend who'll give a nice discount :p

henrikjt

i did post something very similar. We were taking the person to court and i needed some evidence to show to the court. The webdesigner charged my boss $9,000 for the site which is a joke to me. We still havent gotten the results from the small claims trial.

voodish

Did the Web Design Company quote your Boss initially?

Seems strange that the Invoice was a surprise -

As far as value for money goes - it certainly doesn't seem worth $9k - at least not on the face of it...

adx

Holy mother of god! :eek:

I'd pay 9 grand to see someone fork over that bill with a straight face! ;)

NDG

$9000 sounds like an outrageous price for the site you were given. Were you given a quote before going ahead with the work? Have you been given a cost breakdown of hours spent, services rendered, etc.?

To be clear, in context of the web design and development field, $9000 is a very common price. Businesses do pay that much for websites, and often they pay more. However, I agree with the posters here in that $9K worth of work is not reflected on your website.