Googled.gr review

kostis

Hi,
I am from Greece and I am new here...
I just completed a website about classifieds and jobs...

http://develop.googled.gr

The innovative feature in this site is the direct link between classifieds and jobs...

However, I am not sure about the styling of this and I would be grateful if you review it and suggest any fixes on it...

Thanks in advance,
Kostas.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
page takes a long time to load
I would be more concerned, that if the site ever does take off, whether google might sue you. Bit of a grey area there.

kostis

Hi,
thanks for your answers...
There isn't any case of google suing me..I discussed it with my hosting provider and assured me that everything is ok...

mezangath, which specific animations you don't like?
How is the logo looking? does this site give a general good view on user?

Kostas

kostis

Hi,
I made some changes...
Please take a look at the attached image and let me know your thoughts on this...

Thanks,
Kostas.

Attachments

• Ggd1a.jpg
    Ggd1a.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 60

ian

Administrator
Staff member
There isn't any case of google suing me..I discussed it with my hosting provider and assured me that everything is ok...
your host may host it without any problem, but that does not mean you would not have any legal problems down the track if your site ever gets very popular.

kostis

Hi and thanks for your answers..
ian I am going to ask googled about this...do you know where can I find contact info for Google?

OpticMoon: I know this..I will create another logo...I know that there are some changes that need to be done...

I will post the updated version soon...
Thanks,
Kostas.

gazzieh

Feels like Wordpress or similar. Very boxey, very busy, colours will stop many people from being able to read the page for any lenght of time.

kostis

Hi gazzieh,
thanks for your answer...could you tell me what would be the first change you would do...?
I tried to remove the orange and blue headers and it ended to be as this on the image above before 2 posts...

Thanks,
Kostas...

gazzieh

The problem isn't simply the colours from my opinion but the basic structure layout. It is incredibly boxey and does feel like it hqas simply been pulled out of Wordpress themes.

Personally I would consider what the business purpose is, what is the site's purpose, aims and audience. Only then would you begin to have an idea of the needs and likes of the audience and therefore the site.

What do similar sites do? What do you like and what would you alter? Are YOU within your target audience? If not, how can you find out their needs?

An effective site is designed around the needs of the audience. An exciting site takes this concept and alters it slightly to give a fresh, exciting yet still relevant experience. Unfortunately, too many designers design to their own wants and needs (or abilities).

Also, do you consider yourself a designer or a coder? I am personally a coder and my designs have always either been me playing around (for personal sites) or based upon other, successful layouts but then altered to give a distinctive touch. If I need to design something I ask colleagues who are true designers (have an eye for it).

So, to summarise; do you know the answers to the questions given above? If not then playing with colours will be of little benefit.

kostis

Informative site....

Hi, thanks for this info...it is the well-known theory that should be implemented in the real sites as well...

However, I made some changes that do not actually change the boxy style, but I think it is more clear now as I separated these "boxes" about some pixels and made some distinctive borders...please take a look once again...http://develop.googled.gr

I have to infom you that this is a site of which info will be updated every day by users..this site will contain the following two big servicers-information-records:

1) classifieds from all the sectors of life (cars, jobs, homes, animals, house tools, etc etc,) and
2) jobs:each professional will be able to upload and advertise his own profession..briefly, it is a job guide...

From the nature of this site, it is hard to limit this info and avoid putting so much "letters" on the starting page...it is informative site and not any artistic one that will promotes its beautiful design...

People will use it to find useful info about their jobs and life...

Thanks,
Kostas.

kostis

.....And yes, I am coder not designer...so I ask some design help or tips to make it look better...
So any design suggestion will be fully welcomed...

Thanks again,
Kostas.

kostis

Hi,

I have 4 screenshots from googled.gr...which one is the best?
Did I make any progress in the design sector of this site?

Thanks,
Kostis.

Attachments

• GGD_1.jpg
    GGD_1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 24
  • GGD_2.jpg
    GGD_2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 24
  • GGD_3.jpg
    GGD_3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 25
  • GGD_4.jpg
    GGD_4.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 24

gazzieh

The differences are minimal and the main issues are not resolved (boxy, cluttered, confusing - even when ignoring the foreign text, etc).

As a coder I would seriously recommend that you find a local designer or someone who is starting out and ask for advice; experiment with your own sites but your live ones need to be well designed as well as coded.

gazzieh

Thanks,

do you think that http://www.xe.gr/pages/Index.aspx or http://tospitimou.gr/main/index.jsp
are good ones?Just to know the competition's design?

Kostas.

http://www.xe.gr/pages/Index.aspx loaded fast, a little cluttered but it does have good use of colour. There is a lot going on but the animations do not distract too much and makes for a little more interest. I don't want to leave the site immediately and so it meets the 5 second rule. Personally, too many boxes still and I always find these types of sites confused and 'pushy'; in the way that I am concerned they simply want to sell and nothing else matters to them (personal customer service is a no-go, for example).

http://tospitimou.gr/main/index.jsp took two attempts to load, is still trying to load content even after a second attempt, terrible photos, cluttered, way too much text, boring. If you had not asked me to review it I would have closed it down within a second.

kostis

I agree with you in both reviews...

The only one I think is dubious is that this kind of sites "sell" info about classifieds and jobs...it isn't site for architectures or hosting providers...the boxy and cluttered structure makes it more simple to list info...

Even the news site http://www.kathimerini.gr/ is boxy and a bit 'pushy'...

I would be grateful if you posted here any classified/jobs site like this I am going to build that it worths the time to view it...just an example of how this kind of site should look like according to your opinion...

Thanks,
Kostas.