from where to start

StephanieCordray

Well, yeah but I have a few clients who use FP to make little changes in between me making the big changes so I suppose it might be worth getting the newest version at some point.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
when i read the above post by ldburroughs yesterday, i had to keep myself from replieing. i felt as if everything i have said in reply to his posts here and in other threads has been ignored and words had been planted in my mouth that i at no point said. but i will not go there, since the respective party doesn't care to here anything i say as it is anyways.

however, i will say that i agree with what chroder pointed out in his last two posts.

Vaelor

zkiller said:
when i read the above post by ldburroughs yesterday, i had to keep myself from replieing. i felt as if everything i have said in reply to his posts here and in other threads has been ignored and words had been planted in my mouth that i at no point said. but i will not go there, since the respective party doesn't care to here anything i say as it is anyways.

I hear ya there buddy. Me, I've been biting my tongue, so to speak, since his last post, and continue to do so. My rational mind can see he's just a troll and that the post was clearly flamebait, but my emotional side is itching to post about two dozen retorts and sarcastic replies. I admit, I do have a weakness for being drawn into flamewars far too easily, but I'm trying hard to be a good little forum user here! =D

There were just so many completely illogical points in that post that it's clear to anybody that as you said, all of our points and posts had been completely ignored, and it was in fact him taking the "I'm right and screw other options!" stance that he was implying we had. I hate hypocrites.

Anyways, looks like there's another thread for design package comparisons now, so I guess this discussion should be moved over there anyway. Besides, I believe the original thread starter here never came back after their second post, so this really is an utterly irrelevant thread in and of itself now anyway. =P

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i wouldn't call this thread irrelevant, as everything posted in here will become part of the archives. even with our little debate, there is some good and usable information to be found here.

I do not believe he is a troll, but i do feel as if he wasn't listening to what i had to say. or should i say, read what i had to write. :p

genspur

I believe the original thread starter here never came back after their second post, so this really is an utterly irrelevant thread in and of itself now anyway. =P

altho the first part of that sentence may be true, the second part is patently false! towit, it has been an immensely informative discussion IMHO as i too am a newbie formerly lurking for info on how to proceed with my webpage ideas...

so basically i'm just hoping that y'all will stick around here for further discussion... otherwise i shall start yet another "newbie looking for advice" thread and pester u that way :p ...

i really appreciate the links to sites on learning html that everyone has posted both here and in the other thread about editors... thx! i have not yet chkd them out, but have referenced them for future use.

ok, so, if anyone is still interested in continuing this thread, i'll b/b to ask some more specific questions... gotta go now... baby is calling "mama! mama!"... ciao.

StephanieCordray

genspur said:
so basically i'm just hoping that y'all will stick around here for further discussion... otherwise i shall start yet another "newbie looking for advice" thread and pester u that way :p ...

A bunch of us call this home so I think you can expect us to be around for a long time, ;)

Vaelor

genspur said:
altho the first part of that sentence may be true, the second part is patently false! towit, it has been an immensely informative discussion IMHO as i too am a newbie formerly lurking for info on how to proceed with my webpage ideas...
Insofar as the demand outweighs the supply of topically appropriate information, I shall inasmuch as I am able within the constraints of my knowledge, relinquish said knowledge in the form of aforementioned topically appropriate information, for any and all threads in which I hold a thread subscription status; ergo, pending the continued participation of other parties using said medium to request information, ongoing participation by me in said threads will be assured. >=)

In other words, any thread I've posted in before, I'll keep posting in if somebody asks a question there and nobody else answers it before I get there. =P

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
StephanieCordray said:
A bunch of us call this home so I think you can expect us to be around for a long time, ;)
i'm with stephanie on this one. :)

glad you found the information within this thread helpfull genspur.

genspur

StephanieCordray said:

eggsellent! as u can plainly see i am "not a computing professional" (no avatar, no fancy sig... very sad really...) but i'm trying to learn as much as i can (note: learns how to do a quote the "official" way by 2nd post! hehheh)

my first project will be to design a local parenting website to act as a clearinghouse for all of our (smaller) city's parent/kid resources. i've stolen, err, got some ideas from other parenting sites and i've been slowly amassing all the relevant local content.

i've just finished a short-course on html at a local nite-school and i was pretty disappointed - i had learned more doing some free, online tutorials (eg: http://visualtutorials.com/html.htm?find-start_your_own_webpage)

ok, so, i was interested in getting a copy of Allaire HomeSite but all links seem to lead to macromedia as i guess it is now a part of DW (i realize now that this does not = DishWashing! can u tell i'm a SAHM???)... does anyone have a link to a earlier, downloadable version?? HomeSite appealed to me because it seemed a nice way to wean oneself off of WYSIWYG gradually... pls correct this idea if i'm wrong...

alright, i think that's enuf babbling for now... thx again for all your replies... esp vaelor... heh,heh!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup, allaire was purchased by marcomedia a while back and parts of homesite have made their way into dreamweaver. sorry, but i do not know of any place that still have a downloadable (legal) version of homesite.

AainaA

all allaire.com sites now point to mm, so even if you look at the results {http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-menuext&ie=UTF-8&q=%22Allaire+HomeSite%22} you'd have the reviews et all, but points leading to MM

genspur

drat! ok, thx for trying to help me... i guess i'm not sure which editor to use now... i understand that DW is the preferred choice, but i think it's more than i can "chew on" at this particular time... i'm curious about HoTMetaL Pro 5.0 ... altho i recall a brief negative comment about it somewhere around here... so at the risk of opening that whole can-o-worms again, cud i get some specific comments/criticisms about that one? TIA...

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
you may also want to look into netscape composer, as it's free. just to get you started. :) i believe it comes as part of the netscape suite, or at least that's the way it used to come. i've been around to long... lol

genspur

zkiller said:
you may also want to look into netscape composer, as it's free. just to get you started. :)

oh, free u say? that's always a good starting point... thx for the suggestion. i have also found a free version of HoTMetaL that i am going to play around with - altho i grew very weary while reading the install instructions last nite... therefore it remains uninstalled.

i'm also not sure who suggested the http://www.htmlgoodies.com/ site for html tutorials, but it is fantastic-o! i've only read a few articles there but am very impressed... thx for the link whoever it was!

ciao!

AsheSkyler

I hope you're posting for general information. This thread is seven years old and the original poster hasn't logged in for five years.