For a new business / for my new job

jump74

Hello I am new in this forum

My Hosting supplier(siteground.com) recommended your forum to me.

I am french (excuse-me for my bad English)
I would like to create a small Web agency (in company or Freelance)
(simple : I am a 48-year-old IT / I don't find salary employment in my country)

Can you please give me your opinion on my first model?
It is a florist site example with site for desktop and mobile, and with fan Facebook page and small shop

The force of my tool: I can change design very easily.
How is quality? What is the bad part? what is the good part?
Can this site be sold?
At which price?
( i can integrate the seo flash part, only if the opinions are good)

Or

Which is the tool or technology that you advise me for: desktop-mobile responsive with possibility of animations? Wordpress with responsive template

I wish to find a good base with evolution

My first site
http://resolution-web-mobile.jkastafiore.com

Thank you very much for your patience, your very good help and your answers
Best Regards
Jump 74

benjamin.morgan

First lose the music. Also landing pages are very dated. The colors are okay, but the yellow could be a little more blending with the green to form a light green color. Also all the moving around hurts my eyes. It might be better to just design it with HTML/CSS and no flash.

jump74

First lose the music. Also landing pages are very dated. The colors are okay, but the yellow could be a little more blending with the green to form a light green color. Also all the moving around hurts my eyes. It might be better to just design it with HTML/CSS and no flash.

Thank-you very much Benjamin for your answer
Result: I must all re-examine
thank you for your frankness
Can you advise me a modern, simple tools group or cms which to make sites of quality, rapids, with different designs and with responsive mode?I must be able to propose to my future customers that something in advance different, advances some for France and Switzerland.
Thank-you for your answer Benjamin
Your Sincerely,

Last edited:

benjamin.morgan

I suggest just becoming fluent in HTML and CSS if your not. Then maybe dabble in PHP and learn Wordpress. I personally think Wordpress is one of the best CMS's. There is also a lot of free wordpress templates.

jump74

Benjamin,
How are you today?
Thank-you very much for your help
Hello,
I am going to follow your advice:
- Make the corrections on the existing site
- Then to choose between webplusx5 (i have this soft), Wodpress and drupal (I have a relation which uses drupal) (wordpres or drupal in the end with responsive templates)
I am better with php than with html-css
Thank-you very much for the link

I shall return (last time for this site), to propose you the site after correction.

Thank-you again Benjamin, for your patience and very good help
Best regards
Jean-Paul

WebdesignTwente

damn, i think the intro is sweet :) very nice, i dunno alot about flash but people always told me i shouldn't do much with flash because seo aint gonna work well with it, but i don't got much experience with it to get a conclusion. But i like the website, maybe you should style the context page a bit more, pretty random buttons.

jump74

No problem, I really like Wordpress, I didn't like Drupal and i don't know what webplusx5 is.

Hello Benjamin
Thank you Benjamin

*Webplus x5
It is A dreamwaver in more simple, when you create a site : http://www.serif.com/webplus/
(with a very small possibility of cms)

I realized modifications in the site ( Maybe too green now)
I can change easily colors, type of buttons, type of gallery, type of shop
For the design and the front page, I can change them but there I changes completely the style : it is not the idea for this site.
(This site is not to realize with WebPlus x5)
With the tool for this site (BUT it is flash) but :
I can create easily Facebook fan page, mobile site with small shop. I have choice in galleries, zoom image in each page : It is more difficult with Webplus x5.

Please
So that I learn, you can say to me what does not still again.
Finally what is the value of sale of this site?
I like to finish each job = I shall like having at least a correct site (if it is possible) even if I do not use any more the tool later: it allows to learn of the design.

I have 2 at 3Hours each day to learn Wordpress: how long I need to create an attractive site?
Do you know a link by where I can begin?
Is it possible to have a small movie (a small clip <180ko) in full background of template with Wordpress?
Thank-you very much for the link of templates

Thank-you very much for your advice of (http://resolution-web-mobile.jkastafiore.com), your patience and your answers
Yours Sincerely,
Jean-Paul

jump74

damn, i think the intro is sweet :) very nice, i dunno alot about flash but people always told me i shouldn't do much with flash because seo aint gonna work well with it, but i don't got much experience with it to get a conclusion. But i like the website, maybe you should style the context page a bit more, pretty random buttons.

Thank you for your patience and for your encouraging answer
In fact FLah can be referenced under the condition that you put certain elements besides the classic SEO: example < noembed >, nojavascript > swfobject, ascreen...
If you master the technical part(party) of departure of your site and what you have a html site for motives(mobiles): you can have of very good result(profit).
With my first old tool, I was no 3 - 5 on Google

The important is:
- The contents
- Choose the words with Adwords in agreement with your subject (even if you do not make a partner of advertising)
- Choose alternative(alternate) words which can be seized on search engines
- AND finally that your site is optimized in load : code, images, movies... (to see speed page, or yslow)
A time of load site, it is very IMPORANT : For Google, This site is between 1,8s and 2,1s for the full page with the "Entrez" button.

For this site, we put much more time for the choice of the text, words, sentences, photos that on choice of the animations : My plateform integrates one code system of optimization and cutting of the images according to the page, the type of site desktop-mobile : i install 1 images = 5 cut images

Thank you for your encouragement
Your Sincerely
Jean-Paul

Last edited:

benjamin.morgan

I haven't ever used a video as a background in wordpress, you would have to google it. Value wise I'm not sure how much this site would be worth. Maybe more to some people than others. How much time did you put into it?

jump74

If your opinions are good, i take the time to install the SEO part of my site
Thank you very much for your patience and your opinions
Best Regards
Jean-Paul

jump74

BENJAMIN : You think that the site is OK now? Or "saleable?" no more corrections!?
For you Benjamin, is it nice now?
For me, for this site of technological demonstration, my time was:
1 day: for the subject (I am not a florist), my wife adores flowers.
0.5 day for the words in Adwords and synonyms
1 day for the sentences and the cutting(division) of the site
1 day for the choice of photos
3 days for: the choice of the design, the colors, the gallery, the writings of 2 sites and 2 shops, Twitter and Facebook accounts Facebook fan page
1 days in optimization of photos and video

and to make 1 day SEO: put in Google account and by Flash SEO
1.5h corrections today

Subject part : 3,5 days
Technical part : 5 days (includ SEO and Facebook fan page) It is not very fast
I think you realize the same site with less time
I don't know the price of this work

But the important is not my time but how much this site is it estimated? (Example If you ask "Jean-Paul" please changes the design and the front page "Entrez", you show me the style, if I can realize, you have new présentation in 2 days for all elements and sites)
Thank-you for your patience, your help, and your answers
Yours Sincerely,
Jean-Paul

Last edited:

jump74

Hello Webdesigntwente,
Would you buy the set (to help choice domain name, to help choice words in relation with business market and image company, texts in site, images, design, galery, desktop site, mobile site, mini desktop-mobile shops, Google-Twitter-Facebook accounts, Facebook fan page, First level SEO includ FLASH SEO)? At which price?
Excuse-me for my bad English (because I am French)

Thank-you for your patience and your answers
Your Sincerely,
Jean-Paul

barricades

Bonjour Jean-Paul

The site you linked to looks ok. It's hard for me to know what the aesthetic of French websites is because I haven't ever browsed many of them!

If that site was for the English web though I think it might look a bit dated. If you are a programmer more than a designer you might find it useful to hook up with a designer because you'll find plenty of them that don't have a clue about coding and are scared to try :) That way you'll both benefit.

You were asking about CMSs before, like I said in my thread for ecommerce I prefer zencart, the zencart forum is very well populated and people answer questions freely, so it's a great learning tool. Plus there's loads of plugins so mostly if a feature is required by a client, you won't have to code it yourself :)

Most importantly though zencart has a great admin area so your clients will be able to manage the b'jesus out of their content with no bother at all. They'll benefit from the forum as well.

Finally it's really easy to customise (built with that in mind) and there's loads of free templates available which are at least as good (in my opinion) if not better than the site you linked to. So you could set up a shop in a couple of days and charge $500 no problem.

For non ecommerce CMS - to be honest I've only used wordpress which is great if you are just looking for something that people will be publishing content (ie blog) otherwise I'm reliably informed that drupal is very good for any other type of site. I haven't needed to use it myself ever though.

bonne chance

jump74

Bonjour Jean-Paul

The site you linked to looks ok. It's hard for me to know what the aesthetic of French websites is because I haven't ever browsed many of them!

If that site was for the English web though I think it might look a bit dated. If you are a programmer more than a designer you might find it useful to hook up with a designer because you'll find plenty of them that don't have a clue about coding and are scared to try :) That way you'll both benefit.

You were asking about CMSs before, like I said in my thread for ecommerce I prefer zencart, the zencart forum is very well populated and people answer questions freely, so it's a great learning tool. Plus there's loads of plugins so mostly if a feature is required by a client, you won't have to code it yourself :)

Most importantly though zencart has a great admin area so your clients will be able to manage the b'jesus out of their content with no bother at all. They'll benefit from the forum as well.

Finally it's really easy to customise (built with that in mind) and there's loads of free templates available which are at least as good (in my opinion) if not better than the site you linked to. So you could set up a shop in a couple of days and charge $500 no problem.

For non ecommerce CMS - to be honest I've only used wordpress which is great if you are just looking for something that people will be publishing content (ie blog) otherwise I'm reliably informed that drupal is very good for any other type of site. I haven't needed to use it myself ever though.

bonne chance

Merci Thank-you very much I will work my project.
Thank-you Barricades

benjamin.morgan

Like barricades said I am not sure how much because I have no idea about french websites. It does look very nice, it is just that in the english web it would be a bit dated. I do think that the changes you made made it look very nice now.

jump74

Like barricades said I am not sure how much because I have no idea about french websites. It does look very nice, it is just that in the english web it would be a bit dated. I do think that the changes you made made it look very nice now.

Thank you Benjamin.
But my main problems are that I find the whole of the sites carried out currently rather flat: they are “dynamic” because they use data of the users, but flat because there are no animations, just slides.
With Flash, I can use 3D (ex. a shop with products with 3D real images) animations 3D.

In France and Switzerland, they do not like Flash.
I have just passed my evening to make the turn of the cms and the html5 responsive modes,
Today : no real creativity in responsive templates
1) Wordpress only 20 free responsive templates
2) Drupal - Joomla : 10 free responsive templates
3) Concrete5 - Fork
4) html5 templates
5) html5 cms : centurion -Imagespages

For Wordpress Drupal Joomla Concrete5 Fork, i need to create the template with an other tool : example foundation, ....
With my platform, with my old projet - and actual project , i have 70 animated first page, 20 types of galeries, 60 designs (some, Wordpress Design type).

I think this evening that perhaps my good activity is : to create responsive template for cms, and maybe realize SEO projects
and NOT CREATE SITES

I think for me that take advice of your pillow : I am misled of technology, of road. It is necessary that I stop the damage.

Thank-you very much Benjamin for your help
Yours Sincerely,
Jean-Paul

Last edited:

benjamin.morgan

Yes, the web today is very simple. Users like being able to see what they need to see as soon as they load your site. It needs to load fast and not much 3D is used. However animations will become more popular as HTML5 and CSS3 is further supported.

Also, whenever possible if the user doesn't need a CMS I don't base it off one. Lots of unnecessary code. That benefits you as well because most likely when they need maintenance they will pay you per hour.