Floating Windows

Izisin

I have a manager that insists on having floating windows for our advanced search and main content for a website I am developing. I think what he is looking for is a Visual Studio style layout. I use VS and the only window I have floating is the Find and Replace, which I find annoying most of the time.

His argument for the floating windows, is to allow users to layout the page the way they want. Everyone else thinks this is a bad idea.

Does anyone know of an article that explains why this is a bad idea?

I've docked the windows in sliding panes and this seems to be a better way to go.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use VS and I know what you are referring to, but I dont really understand how that will apply to your website? You are comparing and application to a website. Are you thinking you boss would like modal windows (in page popups)?

I find they can be helpful because they overlay the content they apply to, so the user can see where they are (what page or section) in your website. I get how these may work for an advanced search feature, but as the main content? That seems odd.

If you could explain a little more and or attach a image of the layout to help illustrate your question I think more people would answer.