First Responsive design portfolio - Please Review

Evantchapman

After several hours and pints of beer I finally have came up with a portfolio design that I think looks semi-professional. Text is not complete nor is portfolio functionality. Please give me any critique/code changes/good praise/bad praise.

http://ezdzine.com/new_design/

Please be as harsh or as kind as you like I just want to get some feedback on it.

Thank you!

Edge

Looks good

First impression is looks good - high impact.
However couple of points:
- the grey in three main icons looks unfinished, maybe change to your red?
- I'm not a fan of chunks of text which is centrally aligned, although I notice it seems to be creeping back in a little. Just doesn't make sense to me as people read in an F shaped pattern so it's harder to read.
- presume you are going to add some 'more info' links?
- lozenges on 'what I know' I thought would click through to something?
- some white space between the portfolio tiles?

Evantchapman

Thank you For your review!

I will try playing with the icons. I felt that there was too much red so I wanted to chance the color a little.

Do you think that justified text might be a better option?

The portfolio pieces will be a "fancy box"/"light box" type thing that will be responsive as well as a link that will take you to more information about the designs (programs used, thought process behind them, features of them.)

The spacing issue seems to be a common piece of feedback I will try spacing them out and seeing what it looks like.

Thank you again

chrishirst

Staff member
Do you think that justified text might be a better option?
AB-SO-LUTELY NOT!
Justified text looks WORSE than centered text in HTML documents.

Text justification is a PRINT setting where widths and font pitch can be specific and controlled.

Edge

About thirteen years ago when I found out how to justify test i was like justifying everything. If I had known you could do * {text-align:justify} I probably would have done. Sadly though it has different readability problems creating weird rivers of white space running down the text not to mention really e l o n g a t e d words. In print it's done in a more subtle way - not crudely implemented by a browser. People with reading disabilities tend to be the ones most affected.