FED UP with Bluehost. What to do??

wilhorse

My site is down, and Bluehost says they have an error and are working on it. Several times in the last few weeks it's been down for a short period of time. What is the deal? Of all the sites I visit, very few are "down".

My yahoo site was ugly, but at least the thing was always up and running. I've not heard much better about go daddy.

Can anyone else recommend a hosting company they are happy with?

I find the customer service with bluehost pretty good, but don't like these errors.

I was under the impression that cloud flare would keep a cacheable version of the site up, but that isn't the case.
Thanks

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never had that problem with any of the hosting companies I've been with. The first 2 I left for other reasons, but here they are:

IXWebhosting - Never had downtime, at least that I was aware of. Super crappy customer service.
Webhostinghub - Great host. Never had downtime. Super awesome customer service. Left because they didn't support SSH or any scripting language other than PHP.
HostGator (current) - Everything Webhostinghub had/was as well as everything I needed that they don't have/aren't. Also, has a super cheap hosting option for small sites.

AsheSkyler

Hosting24 works for me, but they have the occasional "page has timed-out" or "server does not want to talk to you at this time" problems. Only dealt with customer service once, and it went pretty smoothly.

shovenose

Banned
Bluehost is one of the 40 or so low quality hosting companies owned by EIG (Endurance International Group).
EIG also owns Hostmonster, iPage, Fatcow, and many more, all of which have a bad reputation.
They recently acquired HostGator and all of us in the hosting world are watching closely to see if they can screw the great HostGator up too...

Anyway, check out Arvixe and JaguarPC. I've had good experiences with them, prior to running my own hosting, (which I obviously use, so I no longer need to host with other providers).

Avoid the big companies like GoDaddy, 1&1, Yahoo! Hosting, etc. They often use properietary platforms that make it difficult to switch if you ever have to.

taty

Bluehost is one of the 40 or so low quality hosting companies owned by EIG (Endurance International Group).
EIG also owns Hostmonster, iPage, Fatcow, and many more, all of which have a bad reputation.
They recently acquired HostGator and all of us in the hosting world are watching closely to see if they can screw the great HostGator up too...

Anyway, check out Arvixe and JaguarPC. I've had good experiences with them, prior to running my own hosting, (which I obviously use, so I no longer need to host with other providers).

Avoid the big companies like GoDaddy, 1&1, Yahoo! Hosting, etc. They often use properietary platforms that make it difficult to switch if you ever have to.

Since HG became an EIG company we've notice more throttling of their servers is taking place now, so...we've started tonight moving all our HG clients to a different and smaller host that blows smoke by the host that shovenose quoted.

We dumped Bluehost and Godaddy a couple of years ago. As a matter of fact we use none of those host and have no plans to ever return to either them ever agin...especially Godaddy and that includes we have no trust in GD as a registrar anymore and haven't for two years. I think Micky Mouse would laugh at Godaddy's registrar and hosting admin panels.

shovenose

Banned
Since HG became an EIG company we've notice more throttling of their servers is taking place now, so...we've started tonight moving all our HG clients to a different and smaller host that blows smoke by the host that shovenose quoted.

We dumped Bluehost and Godaddy a couple of years ago. As a matter of fact we use none of those host and have no plans to ever return to either them ever agin...especially Godaddy and that includes we have no trust in GD as a registrar anymore and haven't for two years. I think Micky Mouse would laugh at Godaddy's registrar and hosting admin panels.

Yes, this is definitely true. The amount of complaints about HostGator on Web Hosting Talk has risen.

taty

The difference is like night and day in load times for the sites we moved from HG last night. Much faster not on a server being throttled.

I'd think the throttling is done during peak times on over sold and over loaded servers.

Last edited:

shovenose

Banned
The difference is like night and day in load times for the sites we moved from HG last night. Much faster not on a server being throttled.

I'd think the throttling is done during peak times on over sold and over loaded servers.

Well duh because if it was not peak times they would not need to strangle it .

By the time, it was leaked at one time that every HostGator server (with however many thousands of sites on it) runs on a 10Mbps port. LOL!

squadron

I used to be a Bluehost fan, but the last 2 years or so I've had lots of issues with bots chewing up resources and hacking attempts via other accounts on the same shared server. However, their customer support is pretty good, especially live chat.

More recently I have been using Hostgator and haven't had any issues yet except they did suspend one of my accounts for resource hogging but didn't send me an email about it or warn me. I guess they figured I'd find out about it eventually and raise a ticket :)

I guess the thing I have learned is to have a recovery plan in place, backup often, have all your domain registrar details at your fingertips, and assume that one day you will have to move your sites to a new hosting provider with very little notice.

m15x

What made bluehost even worst they don't use the default cpanel back ups... I had a hell of a time uploading and fixing all my scripts on another host.