Feasability ?

bacon

Hi all,

I'm a civilian, a regular guy !

** i wanted to post this on the traders segment but I need 10 "quality posts" first. A starter for 10, follows. I hope I'm not off topic. Let me know damn well if I am.

I have an idea for a website - I know zip of designing etc. I've researched the best i can to find out what it would take.
I've drafted up webpage concepts (using .xls would you believe), done a bit of study on costs and legalities ... yadda.

How do I approach a designer to gain some kind of feasability study ?
99.9% of www searches end with buisiness database and retailing related designers .. i think i need a more outside the square type. Just wish i new what/who to look for.

The site is not a retailng site or such, it is simply a forum styled, message posting, website - minus the profiles.
Users would have more than a username and password.
Users would post, respond, "like", search messages, etc ... thats it. No chat, No "status". Just straight : post/respond/search (by feild)
The trick, is that the message posting component would have to monitor and virtually censor the messages in real time. To the point of "leading" the message content textually with optional "leaders" for the user. (defamation aviodance - Max cares)

I appreciate many might have commments and advice and I'd certainly appreciate any and all but at the end of Max's day, everyone would be running blind without knowing the whole concept, right ...
so, is there anyone in NZ or Au who would be interested in corresponding on this concept?

... that eludes to Max's conundrum ... how the hell does a regular guy protect his idea from savvy others if they too think Max's idea is dandy and mighty fine! ... but still provide the savvy helper with all the info.

... what say you, in all regards ?

(p.s : money is no object - Max wil not rest until this idea becomes educated better.vs.worse)

chrishirst

Staff member
using .xls
??

By that do you mean an M$ Excel spreadsheet?

Use just about ANY forum or CMS, they all have message censoring built in and you can disable the "features" you don't want.

Personally I would use Simple Machines Forum (SMF) or Joomla! 2.5

Or failing that, your "revolutionary" idea is called Wordpress.com

chrishirst

Staff member
Oh and, there is a reason for a minimum post count for "Trader" threads.

AND I've invariably found the people who try to "shortcut" the requirement also tend to renege on their "trader" deal or contract.

bacon

Joomla and others I've looked at in basic terms and yes they look fine.
But is there a point where these models cant cope. I'd like to know how (they) would compare to a free standing custom website/domain option.

I guess I could try setting a site up and If it cant function the way I want, I could look for proffessional help.
I'd prefer to seek professional input and determine things from there.

Really just looking for someone I could send a breif to ... and receive back a formal proposal and/or assessment.

cheers, appreciated.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
bacon.
read this
3. No comments saying "thanks for the information" or "thanks for sharing" will be allowed. Members doing that will be banned. If somebody helps you out with a problem, and you thank them, that is fine for the member with the problem to thank the person helping them. I am referring to somebody posting some tip on search engine optimisation, and having to read 30 posts of people saying great information, thanks for sharing, again they are just useless posts and will be considered spam.

hence your back down to 4 posts buddy.
if you've got something important to say. contribute. otherwise dont.