email system

Eckhardt

Hi All,

I have a general question about a mailing system. I have a web application to which users can subscribe. The users can add different user to the system, let's call them clients. So each users has a list of his own clients. The system sends emails from time to time to the clients, on behave of the users. I want the users to be able to define the content of the emails themselfs. So when, lat's say an update has occured, the system sends the update_email of user A to all the clients of user A, and sends the update_email of user B to all the clients of user B. Still with me? Good :)

My question is: can anyone give me some good advice on how to set up such a system? My own ideas:

- I define a template: a piece of html in which the users set the background color, their signature, the logo, whatever. The content of the email is pasted in this template. This way all emails have the same look n feel and I don't need to save the layout code for every email.
- The text for the emails is stored separately. So for each user I have 1 template to store, and one 1 version for each possible email that the system can send.
- Same two points above, but for plain text emails.
- I want to store older emails so I store the current versions and templte in my database and store older versions in files.
- template and email contents can be added on the website (anyone sugestions for a good WYSIWYG editor?).

These are all ideas and nothing is implemented yet so any sugestions to my ideas or entirely new ideas are welcome.

Also, I realise that other people must have build a similar system, so if anyone has good experience with a system that can do this for me (free/comercial), please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

MarkR

Look at tinyMCE as an editor, it's open source and free.

As for the archiving bit, if I used a website page as an example:

Have a table with all your website pages in it then have another table with the content in it. The table with the content in it stores the page id, the content and a timestamp.

When editing the page you insert the new content into the content table with the page ID and the timestamp. When retrieving you retrieve from the content table the latest record with your page ID.

This means all revisions are saved and easily retrievable.

If you are looking to get this developed commercially give me a shout, I've done similar stuff before.

anmolmark

Electronic mail, commonly called email or e-mail, is a method of exchanging digital messages from an author to one or more recipients. Modern email operates across the Internet or other computer networks. Some early email systems required that the author and the recipient both be online at the same time, in common with instant messaging.Electronic mail, commonly called email or e-mail, is a method of exchanging digital messages from an author to one or more recipients. Modern email operates across the Internet or other computer networks. Some early email systems required that the author and the recipient both be online at the same time, in common with instant messaging.

prankpeter

Electronic mail, commonly called email or e-mail, is a method of exchanging digital messages from an author to one or more recipients. Modern email operates across the Internet or other computer networks. Some early email systems required that the author and the recipient both be online at the same time, in common with instant messaging.n the process perspective, the mail handling system can be modelled as a sequence of relay processes, each temporarily storing the message, performing some specialized function, and passing it on to the next relay using the SMTP protocol.

peterjoys

This application was developed for a intranet project, and would be usefull for any small to medium sized organisation who use a Windows NT Server, or even just a Networked Windows 95 solution running the personal web server, and who want an e-mail system, but don't want the associated costs.