ecommerce hosting

netdolly

Hi
Like a lot of people here, I am new to web design, and am self-taught, but have managed to build a resonable site using Front Page and some html. Before I get any further along the line, I thought I had better look into hosting, and, as I had already registered my domain name, thought that all I had to do was to go with them, Wrong! They cannot host an eshop, because they do not support content management.
So I am now looking for an ecommerce domain host that can also offer a good shopping cart as part of the package. I am not too worried about templates, as I want to carry on designing the site myself, but from my research so far, I guess that all packages are going to come with templates anyway.
If and when I find the best hosting/package for my needs, will I then have to re-register my domain name with them, or can it remain where it is?
Help!
netdolly

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Your domain name can stay where it is, you dont have to have your domain registered at the same place as your web hosting company, you simply modify your domain name servers to the ones that your web hosting company provides you.
As to what host is appropriate, do you have any specific shopping cart software in mind that you would like to use?

StephanieCordray

Look for a host who offers cpanel with Fantastico. You'll have a choice of several different shopping carts with easy installation. Fantastico offers a lot of other functionalities, including templates, but the templates and such are not automatically installed on your space.