Do you Drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AainaA

There's no horizontal bar function here? Hmmm well, do you drink? and if you do, what?

Scientists at the University of California, Davis, have identified another group of chemicals in red wine that is linked to the ability to lower cholesterol. Called saponins, these glucose-based plant compounds are being found in an increasing number of foods. This is the first time they've been found in wine, says Andrew Waterhouse, Ph.D., Professor of Enology (wine chemistry) at the University of California, Davis.

His finding was described today at the 226th national meeting of the American Chemical Society, the world's largest scientific society.

For the most part, the so-called French Paradox — the association between red wine and decreased heart disease — has been attributed to resveratrol, a compound found in grapes, which acts as an antioxidant. But saponins could be just as important.

"Saponins are a hot new food ingredient. People are just starting to pay attention to it," says study leader Waterhouse. "No one ever thought to look for it in wine."

The compounds are believed to come from the waxy skin of grapes, which dissolve into the wine during its fermentation process. To better understand their distribution in wine, Waterhouse conducted a preliminary study of six varieties of California wines — four red and two white — and compared them on the basis of their saponin content.

"Average dietary saponin intake has been estimated at 15 mg, while one glass of red has a total saponin concentration of about half that, making red wine a significant dietary source," the researcher says.

In general, Waterhouse found that red wine contains significantly higher saponin levels than white — about three to ten times as much. Among the red wines tested, red Zinfandel contained the highest levels. Syrah had the second highest, followed by Pinot noir and Cabernet Sauvignon, which had about the same amount. The white varieties tested, Sauvignon blanc and Chardonnay, contained much less.

[tab]

Opera/Firefox on Debian
Staff member
I drink maybe twice a year... like Chroder I hate the taste, I just drink to get drunk :p

ian

Administrator
Staff member
If you are referring to alchohol, I never touch alchohol, havent had a drop of alchohol in maybe 15 years, tastes yukky!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I have never tasted vanilla coke yet, will have to try it, hope its not like that coke with a twist of lemon, that was disgusting.

Chroder

Vanilla tastes nothing like lemon :p

Just make sure you don't get the Vanilla Pepsi, that is nasty...

[tab]

Opera/Firefox on Debian
Staff member
First time I tried vanilla Coke I loved it... after that it got a bit sickly.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
lies, damned lies, next thing he will be criticizing your frappuccino's

AainaA

i love my frapps... and starbucks is my playground when it comes to tooting off my new toy :D

anyways, anyone into wine or champagne or something less "drunkish"?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
oh yeah and I have never been to a starbucks before, though we have quite a few of them here in Australia. I think I would like frappuccino's.

[tab]

Opera/Firefox on Debian
Staff member
Champagne/wine is horrible... ewww. I think I'd like those iced cap thingies as well.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
wine probes are fun! some wine's i can drink and actually enjoy, but i have a hard time finding those.

expresso is good to... but it comes in to small of a cup! :( i ordered a cappucino at some place in virginia and the cup they gave me was the size, if not bigger, than my breakfast bowls! :eek:

AainaA

what are iced capped thingies - i'm so..... ignorant here about these things, and Ian, class is not being about abling to guggle wine/champagne - its more than just that :)

AainaA

zkiller said:
expresso is good to... but it comes in to small of a cup!
hehe espresso is just that - its very thick coffee for speed/quikie relief for your caffein addiction :D that's why its in small cups - last week alone I had 8 double espressos and had a terrible hangover - at least now i know you don't necessarily get od on things fermented ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.