Design/Hosting for my site

KeithB

Hello all!

So someone one a chat network asked me a question about computers this evening, and I was looking through google to assist him/her, and ended up finding this forum; great news for me!

So about 2-3 years ago, I got an idea that I could run/manage/build a website for this chat network that I use. If you're not familiar with mIRC, you probably won't have a clue what I am talking about.

Needless-to-say, I started this website, I bought it through godaddy, thanks to a friend. However, I only bought the basic website & the hosting advertises unless you purchase an upgrade; something I'm not sure I want to do at this point. I know that I'll need hosting in order for my site to grow, however, is there any hosting companies to be recommended? I read through some of the other posts to get some ideas, but still looking.

I basically need an affordable hosting plan, something that will allow me to 'create' this site with ease, as well as maintain it very easily. The other thing is design.

I am wondering what you all would recommend when it comes to the design of a website. Is there a place to consider when trying to create a logo? I currently have my webpage forwarded from the .com to the wordpress site that I created. I know that they're probably generating money from me using their company with the hits I'm getting. I haven't advertised my site besides in the channel(s) I maintain across various networks, and I have so far noticed a decent amount of views.

I would really consider using a wordpress type of theme, however, I would like to also have forums on my site, and allow people to create a small profile. I would appreciate any help/guidance that you all would be able to give me.

If you'd like to see my page at this moment and get a little more feel for what I'm trying to do, please check it out at http://IRCNewbies.com - thanks again everyone!

- Keith -

chrishirst

Staff member
I would really consider using a wordpress type of theme, however, I would like to also have forums on my site, and allow people to create a small profile. I would appreciate any help/guidance that you all would be able to give me.
At that point you have gone past 'basic' hosting and into territory that requires PHP and MySQL database(s).

Not sure about host companies to recommend, well apart from one, but it would be somewhat self promotional :). However; there are plenty that I would NOT recommend.

For what you need I would suggest looking at Joomla! 2.5 with Kunena for the forum extension and maybe Community Builder to make it easier for members to communicate.

And one ESSENTIAL plugin is Spambot Check in twelve months since installation, it has blocked a lot of spammers, count now up to 13,655, and that's a whole lot of crap that didn't need cleaning up.