CSS/JS dropdown menu, a good basic one?

justintuijl

Hi all

I have given in and put a dropdown menu on my site, then I realised it didn't work in IE. So I do a workthough and add a CSS/JS one. Problem is it is horrible with layout in a mess that I don't seem to be able to sort out, the wrong colors which wont adjust properly in the stylesheet and worst of all entrys in the dropdowns run together.

Are there any good dropdowns out there or am I being dumb and should sort out what I have got?

The bad menu is live on the site: http://justintuijl.com/more/index.php

Thanks for anyhelp

Justin

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
no the table thrown into the ul!
Along with the ie6 conditionals...
Thats what needs to go.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
heres a basic one.
http://www.webdesignerwall.com/demo/css3-dropdown-menu/

works down to ie7.

yours works OK for me, although your subs are not large enough to contain the text.

for someone who claims to have been on the net/web design since 1998 I find it very confusing that you havent yet mastered a dropdown menu.
not shifted from tables, nor shifted from <font> and <center> tags, which have been deprecated for some time now...

also your webdesign tips are well out of date. either update or remove. misinformation like that is what is currently ruining the web for many.
and a newbie who comes across your site and takes what you say as gospel will end up with egg on their face. truly...

justintuijl

thanks for that, though the menu vanishes when one mouses out down to the menu.

yes you are right about not mastering the dropdown menus, simply because I never found a use for them before

you are right about the webdesign tips, I have not looked at this part of my site for some years concentrating on the front end

I don't expect anyone looks at the tips but I will remove.

My webdesign has taken a back seat for sometime, being away a lot I don't look into it so much.

Thanks for the mentions of <font> and <center> etc. I have been a bit lazy

Just a shame this CSS menu doesn't work, well for me in IE8 it doesn't my traffic has died since IU changed to the new menus

Last edited:

justintuijl

actually i have had stuff said to me about various parts of the content of the sites MANY times in its history which is why i added the disclaimer about it being a personal website and of my experiences only and bla bla, i mean... It is just a personal homesite, not a resorce