Cloud VPS vs. Dedicated Hosting

keens

Which is better? Cloud VPS or Dedicated Host? What grounds should we consider before making a decision?

Thank you!

chrishirst

Staff member
By "dedicated host" do you mean "dedicated server"

If so, the two are not really comparable.

With a "Cloud VPS" your "server" is just some resources of a server cluster that is 'somewhere in the "Blue Nowhere' effectively.

With a dedicated server you are leasing a chunk of hardware that no one else other than the datacentre staff have access to.

With VPS or 'Cloud' systems the security is only as good as the virtualisation or the clustering software is. If an exploit is found or used in that, then all the VMs are potentially at risk.

With a dedicated box it is only the OS and software applications running on that hardware that needs to be secured or monitored.

I think depend with your purpose. But if you compare both of them, I think this is different device to used. You can looking for definition for each device.

shovenose

Banned
By "dedicated host" do you mean "dedicated server"

If so, the two are not really comparable.

With a "Cloud VPS" your "server" is just some resources of a server cluster that is 'somewhere in the "Blue Nowhere' effectively.

With a dedicated server you are leasing a chunk of hardware that no one else other than the datacentre staff have access to.

With VPS or 'Cloud' systems the security is only as good as the virtualisation or the clustering software is. If an exploit is found or used in that, then all the VMs are potentially at risk.

With a dedicated box it is only the OS and software applications running on that hardware that needs to be secured or monitored.
I'm sorry, but most of this is wrong...

Here's why a Cloud VM (Cloud Server, Cloud VPS, whatever you want to call it today) is better:
-Cloud Host Node Servers typically run multiple enterprise-grade disks with really good I/O. As well has having a fast network port, loads of RAM, and powerful processors. Vs. a single dedicated server
-Cloud Servers are more reliable than Dedicated Servers
The only thing a dedicated server wins in is consistency. You won't be shared the resources, but you will have less of them probably. A cloud server with a good provider that doens't oversell, will have equal or better performance and stability than a traditional dedicated server.

chrishirst

Staff member
I'm sorry, but most of this is wrong...

Here's why a Cloud VM (Cloud Server, Cloud VPS, whatever you want to call it today) is better:
-Cloud Host Node Servers typically run multiple enterprise-grade disks with really good I/O. As well has having a fast network port, loads of RAM, and powerful processors. Vs. a single dedicated server
-Cloud Servers are more reliable than Dedicated Servers
The only thing a dedicated server wins in is consistency. You won't be shared the resources, but you will have less of them probably. A cloud server with a good provider that doens't oversell, will have equal or better performance and stability than a traditional dedicated server.

So you think that one VM on, lets say, a quad core four CPU, 32GiB RAM, RAID 1 on 2x320GiB drives with dual (paired) Gib NICs hardware that is partitioned into four VMs is going to outperform or match the same spec (four cores, 8GiB RAM, RAID 1 on 2x80GiB) on dedicated hardware?

amalayer

A VPS is good to start off with and one can continue with a VPS as long as the hosted website doesn't outgrow it.

shovenose

Banned
So you think that one VM on, lets say, a quad core four CPU, 32GiB RAM, RAID 1 on 2x320GiB drives with dual (paired) Gib NICs hardware that is partitioned into four VMs is going to outperform or match the same spec (four cores, 8GiB RAM, RAID 1 on 2x80GiB) on dedicated hardware?

Not neccessarily. Here's why:
Cloud VM using SAN for storage: Fiber Channel connectivity, RAID10 with 4x disks (or better!)
Dedicated Server at same price: SATA 3Gbps RAID1 2x disks

Obviously one is better than the other.

shovenose

Banned
Ok do me a favor and try something. Go configure a dedicated server with Hivelocity,with four disk RAID, etc. Under $100. See where that gets you. Now go to SparkNode.com their sister company and make a Cloud VM with $100 :)
Only downside here is you significantly less storage than a dedicated server.

Now, I recently switched all my servers from being SparkNode Cloud VM to SparkNode Xen VPS. Why? Because the cloud server was frustrating me with poor performance and they couldn't solve it.

But, their VPS have such good I/O its not even funny :) 150MB/sec. Good look getting that on a $70 dedicated server with RAID. Of course it's an apples to oranges comparison but what I'm saying is that Cloud Servers, VPS, and Dedicated Servers are all good for different use cases. I can certainly say that for shared/reseller hosting Xen VPS is better than Cloud VM but I'm comparing two entirely different things!

chrishirst

Staff member
But you are comparing them based on the COST not on specification.

Now, I recently switched all my servers from being SparkNode Cloud VM to SparkNode Xen VPS. Why? Because the cloud server was frustrating me with poor performance and they couldn't solve it.
So you are saying that a 'hardware' VM is better than a 'Cloud' VM, which of course contradicts your comments in post#6

shovenose

Banned
But you are comparing them based on the COST not on specification.

So you are saying that a 'hardware' VM is better than a 'Cloud' VM, which of course contradicts your comments in post#6

Yes, FOR SHARED/RESELLER HOSTING environment (which is what i have the most experience in obviously) the VPS is better. But for a large website or web app that needs scalability there is nothing better than a cloud environment.

VPSblast

Don't necessarily choose a host with the "fastest" ticket response time, but choose one who you feel you communicate well with.

Alpha

In my opinion, VPS Host (Virtual Private Server) is best as compare to Cloud Host and Dedicated Host because VPS host permits software customization, full configuration, cost effective, rapid migration, administration and instant scalability. VPS also provides the root server access and secured environment.

islandweb

I was on a shared server, after switching my company to a VPN we noticed the difference right away, is what like dial up verse what we have now lol. Crazy!

Last edited: