Chitika?

onthenet

Does anyone here use Chitika? Is it any good? They say the ads are suppose to match keywords people used in search engines to get your site but all the ads so far I've seen go to the same websites no matter what keywords people used.

Are those just filler ads because they don't have any to fill the spot for those keywords?

onthenet

This is a quote taken directly from Chitika's page at http://chitika.com/search-targeted:

"By taking the intent targeting of search engine results and placing it onto your site, the ads are seen by people based on their search. This greatly increases the chance that users will click on the ads, as the content is directly related to their search query."

Am I misunderstanding what it says?

chrishirst

Staff member
This is a quote taken directly from Chitika's page at http://chitika.com/search-targeted:

"By taking the intent targeting of search engine results and placing it onto your site, the ads are seen by people based on their search. This greatly increases the chance that users will click on the ads, as the content is directly related to their search query."

Am I misunderstanding what it says?
Yes you are.

Re-read and understand what this bit says,

... as the content is directly related to their search query. ...

It is ASSUMING, like so many others that your visitor came from a search query where that particular document URL was shown to the visitor. AND they actually clicked through that result. Their 'spiel' (jargon/slang for "Call to action") is based on you believing that your documents ARE going to be shown in search query results, and searchers WILL be tempted by your mastery of words to actually click through to your URL. AND that you believe ALL or most visitors arrive via a Search result

It is worded in such a way to make you think that there is some way that Chikita know exactly what a searcher typed into the Google or Yahoo search box BEFORE they clicked on a particular result, and there is not.

Chikita ads are based on a limited range of words in a few chosen elements on your document. If you read the Chikita code (scripts.chitika.net/eminimalls/amm.js) you will find that these elements are;

The meta keywords element. <meta name="keywords" content="list of words"
The h1 heading elements. <h1>Some words from here</h1>
The document title element <title>This is the 'page' title</title>
and the document URL.

Certainly at one time the search phrase was carried in the URI by some browsers, so could be collected from there. However this is no longer the case.

So IF you want to improve the targetting of the ads (optimise them) the two content elements and the keywords meta are where to put related (NOT relevant words) for adverts that you think visitors would click through to.

onthenet

I did a test and came to my site through google, and chitika is indeed picking up on the exact same search query I used in google. But as I suspected if chitika doesn't have a matching site for an ad it will use a filler. Anyway I figured out the reason the ads were all for the same sites was because I was going to my website directly and not through a search engine. Once I began accessing my website through google the ads became more varied although not always a good match to the keywords used.

chrishirst

Staff member
and chitika is indeed picking up on the exact same search query I used in google

That's deductive reasoning and is is wrong, your URL is being shown in Google results because IT is 'relevant' for the query you entered.

Google's algorithms ALSO use the document content to determine what gets shown to searchers.

You are putting TWO and TWO together and thinking it makes SIX.

chrishirst

Staff member
But of course you can quite easily test that, by putting a link ANYWHERE, click through to your URL THEN see what adverts are shown.

Or create a test page with only a H1 element on it and THEN see what ads are shown.

When you start looking for the cause of an effect ... 99.9% of the time you WILL find precisely the proof you are looking for.

GUDVH

Being an Affiliate of an Affiliate!

Does anyone here use Chitika? Is it any good? They say the ads are suppose to match keywords people used in search engines to get your site but all the ads so far I've seen go to the same websites no matter what keywords people used.

Are those just filler ads because they don't have any to fill the spot for those keywords?

Chitika is an affiliate of Yahoo. When you signed up to be their affiliate, you are an affiliate of an affiliate :eek: Yahoo pays them, then you get paid. You are #3 three on the payroll; 1/2 of 1/2 the share :rolleyes:

chrishirst

Staff member
Chitika is an affiliate of Yahoo.
Nope.

It is Chikita that provides the advertising TO Yahoo's publisher network and Chikita syndicate Yahoo search results across their own network.

Epic New Media

I remember using them a couple of years and they performed very well with, or as an alternative, to Google AdSense.

AdSense wins, though, if you're looking for one or the other.

Last edited:

nelsahost

I tryed them and they are not bad,better than most google adsence alternative but google adsence is still far better.

chismithjohn

I like them because they are good alternative of Adsense. There many sites that not appropriate for adsense and for some kwds they may pay better.