Can a website have pages with different suffixes?

etphonehome

This sounds like a simple question but I have never heard of anyone ever talk about this issue.

Lets say you have a webpage with 10 pages. Two pages are dynamic and use coldfusion. Those pages I assume need to have the .cfm suffix for the cf code to work.

But what about the other pages? Can they have the simple .htm suffix or do they also need the .cfm suffix?

The reason I am asking is because I am reviewing a website with about 2,000 pages and every one of them have the .cfm suffix though many page have just pure html/css syntax.

walkingbird

yes they can have different file extensions lots of sites have .php and . html. I could seee it having a small effect on seo because the .cfm are dynamic.

abwebdesign

This sounds like a simple question but I have never heard of anyone ever talk about this issue.

Lets say you have a webpage with 10 pages. Two pages are dynamic and use coldfusion. Those pages I assume need to have the .cfm suffix for the cf code to work.

But what about the other pages? Can they have the simple .htm suffix or do they also need the .cfm suffix?

The reason I am asking is because I am reviewing a website with about 2,000 pages and every one of them have the .cfm suffix though many page have just pure html/css syntax.

If the website uses ColdFusion and maintains a template using the CF framework, it only makes sense to use .cfm for all of the pages, as it provides the ability to keep everything streamlined. In regard to the .html or .htm extensions, you can actually use any extension you want as long as the content-header returns the text/html status. Hypothetically, you could use .doc, .pdf, .ohmygodahugemonkey, and it will still display the page as it should, as long as the content-header and the server is set up to handle that extension.

The short version: I had a similar issue when working with our ASP.net server. As long as the server is mapped to control and handle an extension, you could use anything you want to.

NOTE: Using different file extensions will NOT positively, or negatively, effect SEO results.

Last edited: