Bottoms of fonts cut of in Dreamweaver (with letters like y,g,j etc.)

jeremaya

With certain fonts (usually my favorites) that have long swooping tails and embellishments the bottoms keep getting cut off when i use them in DreamWeaver. The same fonts look just fine in Photoshop and in other programs. Is there a solution to this seemingly simple problem that put to much time into trying to figure out?

Attachments

• transmit fp.jpg
    transmit fp.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 71

bcee

Usually this happens to me in IE7 when I increase the font size and don't add enough padding. Try adding vertical padding to the areas that are problematic.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this an issue when the site is published an you are viewing in a web browser or is it simply an problem with design view in Dw?

If its the latter, I sure there is a solution other than, drop the design view. Use a web browser to view changes, its much more reliable.

jeremaya

well...

Sorry i didn't save screen shots or examples of the code. I changed the font so the site would look good. I tried adding padding and that did not change the font, just the space between it and the next object which made the cut off font more noticeable. For the fonts that had this issue it did not make a difference what size they were. They appeared bigger than the other fonts at whatever size. It happens in the design view as well as in the browser. I will see if I can find the fonts that do this and get back to you (all). <3

bcee

Interesting. If padding doesn't work height and min-height may be useful.

As PixelPusher stated, don't go by the render in DW, use a browser. Why? I have a site which I just developed which is flawless in IE7, 8, 9, Chrome, FF, Safari and Opera. Viewing it in DW it looks like a hot mess.

jeremaya

I am going to be away from the computer for a little while for some traveling but when I come back I will check into this further. I used different fonts in most of the site to correct the problem but this page does have this going on a little bit: http://jeremaya-art.com/jmaya1 g2.html .
Thank you

d a v e

wow - where did you find those fonts from that you've defined for your site???

no-one is going to see them unless they've got them installed in their computer - which they won't have ;)

e.g.Tantrum Tongue :)

also you could optimise your images - they're about 3-4 times the filesize they should be. 30-40k for a small thumbnail?

if you need help tell us what graphics editor you're using

edit: they are also possibly poorly made fonts whose ascenders and descenders are drawn outside the - erm what was it called - the M box i.e. the outer limits of the character box. this can cause problems in some programs, though it's kind of irrelevant if only you can see them because no-one has those fonts installed on their machine ;)

Last edited:

jeremaya

ooops... I did not know that the fonts I use also had to be on the computer of the viewer. now I have a whole new thing to deal with...........
Every time I learn a little more I realize I have to redo the work I already did.
Thank you for your help!