Armageddon...

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, i found this book at work called armageddon (sp?), it has nothing to do with the movie other than that it is based on the end of the world. it's based on the prophecies out of the bible. anyways, since i had nothing else to do at work since my liason duties aren't associated with a whole lot of anything, i decided to start reading it to help pass time.

anyways, about half way thru the book somebody whom they call zeke (just a nick name) comes into play. the thing that i found kind of funny however is that most of the time they just reffer to him as Z, as most of my online friends reffer to me as well. :D

who knows, maybe i am destined for great things... NOT! :p

anyways, i don't recall who the author or possibly even authors are, but the book is pretty good. by what i gather it is one out of a series of books. i wish i had read the others in the series first, that way the first few chapters probably would have been easier for me to get into, but i still like it. regardless of wether you are religious or not (i have to admit, i am between chairs myself as there are to many things i disagree with) i can recommend that you guys and gals ot to check it out. :)

Chroder

I saw a show on Discovery the other night about Bible prophecies and the end of the world.

It was neat, it said that the USA was named Babylon (in the Bible, kind of a reference I suppose). They think that because it says some things that suggest it like the "hammer of the world" (military reference) and went on to say the largest something or other. And had some reference to the statue of liberty, I can't remember what it was.

Anyway, I only caught the last bit of the show where they were talking about USA not being in WWIII (which is going to bring about the end of the world) because either 1. They are fighting under the name of the United Nations, so they aren't explicitly named, or 2. they are not fighting in the war at all. More people think the latter. Some part said something about by the time of the great war (WWIII), Babylon (USA) would be immobilized in one day. Nuclear?

Crazy stuff :)

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
not sure if i would call the US of A new babylon. after all, new babylon is the headquarters of the anti christ. in the bible it talkes of many nations coming together under one whom claims to want peace. personally, i think the european is heading in that direction, much to my disapproval. not because of the prophecies, but just simply because little good has come to the people of germany out of all of this. the euro has cause quite the financial and economical crises in germany. people don't have money or jobs for that matter and many companies, big and small, are forced to close their doors. of course the euro isn't the only thing that lead us in this direction, but i do believe it gave the finally push.

anyways... i would have liked to seen that show... it's always interesting to see or hear how others interpret something.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok, it's a total of 12 books and of course i had to start on the second last one. lol :p

i think i might have to pick up the first couple and start reading those and then slowly move up to where i am at now. ;)

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's funny, i really don't read a lot because i am usually just to lazy to do so, but every once in a while there is a book or even a series that comes along and just captures me and sucks me in until i finish it. but i have a hard time finding books that can do that... i usually just get bored after a while and quite somewhere in the middle of it... then i pick it up again when i am bored of doing nothing! :cool:

Chroder

the Sword of Truth series? interesting title, what's it about?
A fantasy book ;) A semi-fantasy, I guess. Different world with magic and whatnot, but not as fantasy as LOTR with elves and trolls etc.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
you got anymore background, storyline you could tell me about that series to kind of give an idea as what it's all about. there are thousand, if not millions of fantasy/scifi books out there.

Chroder

Okay.

In the world, there are three lands: The westlands, D'Hara and Harland (I think lol). In the years before the book, there was a great war with wizards and whatnot and they put up a boundry between each land. The boundry is like a thick line where the underworld "seeps" into the world of the living, making it virtually impossible to pass.

Richard, the main character that you love to love, is just a simple woods guide at the beginning. His father recently mudered, had left him a clue in a special "message jar", a jar that Richard and his father had used many times before. The clue was a peice of vine, so Richard goes into the woods in search for the vine, seeing if he can piece together the story. Anyway, on his way back he see's a woman passing one of the trails, then further on down he sees four big men tracker her. Fearing for her safety, he runs back up the train and tells her. The woman is Kahlan, another main character from then on. That's all the specifics I'll say for now :p

The wizard Zedd names Richard the Seeker of Truth, which means Richard has the innate ability to seek out the truth. Along with his naming, he aquires the Sword of Truth, a special sword forged in the old times with magic. Anyway, he learns that Darken Rahl, the evil D'Haran ruler is bringing down the boundries and is planning to take over the world with the three boxes of orden. The boxes of orden are old magic that is little known about. He must open the correct one for his desired effect, to rule the world. If he opens one wrong one, he dies, and if he opens the other wrong one, the entire world will die. It's up to Richard to stop Darken Rahl before he either opens the wrong box, or opens the correct one and enslaves everyone.

The world of magic in the SoT is a bit different from any other. Like other fantasy stories, magic is a rare and feared thing within the world. There are two sides of magic, Additive and Subadditive. Additive is like a 'positive' force, adding -- like you add heat to air to create fire. Subadditive is like a 'negative'. The world is of balance. No wizard in 3000 has had control of subadditive power, but Darken Rahl has made deals with the Keeper (basically the Devil, the ruler of the underworld) that has enabled him to control it.

It's really neat how the author tells the story. His world is all about balance, he explains the Creator (basically God) and the Keeper, and the world of living and the world of the dead so well. It sounds corny when I write about it, but he makes it sound like fact almost.

Here, read more about it: http://www.literaturereviews.net/reviews/showreview.php?r=46

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
sounds interesting... but not sure if i'll jumping on that one. i just ordered the first two volumes of the left behind series. i hope they are as good as the half of volume 11 i have been reading. it's gonna be weird reading them though... kinda like a prequel for me. lol

i think i'll probably still finish volume 11 before i even get the other two and just read it again after i am done with the first 10. then i can finally move on to volume 12, which is the last in the series and the end of the world for some. :) i am kinda excited to get these books... :D

damn... i somehow ended up staying up all night again. i really didn't mean to do so. well, hopefully i can just barry my head in the book (other than the ocassional smoke break) and nobody bothers me like yesterday. :cool:

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup... volume 11 / Armageddon has about 400 pages. i got to page 217 today i think. you could read each book and just leave the rest out... you figure out what is going on after a while and the past becomes irrelevant to current events, but i imaging that once i get to the end of this one, i will want to know happens after it ends. kinda like the first time you watched matrix reloaded and it just ended in the middle of something. you just had to see that last one to kill the curiousity as to just what was gonna happen.

AainaA

okay.... arm whatever... I don't read books anymore, it seems too tedious apart from all the board meetings i have to pretend to enjoy attending. Would be nice just to curl up in bed reading something, but I'd have to be pretty desperate to want to read anything these days...

AainaA

the only exercise of my mind would be sleeping for the moment - that is all i need, and a laptop to cuddle with...

books? Its much more interesting to read men, than reading books..

later,

AainaA

Well, I do read you know... otherwise, I wouldn't have graduated with honors :p

and btw, my current reading is has to do with German Philosophers/philosophy, and.... a plethora of other books too.. but somehow could never read prophecies as it tend to always be overated

Later,

AA

PS: Men {as in humans - rather than just the male gender }