a silly question for a starter

mikebodima

Hello. take it easy on me, i am a not a professional :)

For example let us say i have a domain name with script installed on it (ecommerce or opencart) and i have added some products with their info.

i have another domain with another hosting,

IF i want to move the same site script and products filled to my other domain, all i have to do is download all the files inside (public html) to my computer, after that upload them to my other domain name????

Thanks in advance

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Generally, with a shopping cart setup, you'll have a database that is separate from the files themselves. Look around in the admin backend to see if there's an option to export the products, settings, etc.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
all setups are different and some are more complex than others. but generally...

1. if you have a shopping cart setup this would have an admin associated with it
this would have to be installed and setup on the new host.

2. as ronald mentioned it would probably have a database with it as well, and this would also need to be set up on your new host (or at least be capable, and it gets installed with 1.)

3. extract the data from the old database and import it to the new one.

4. the admin might need some initial setup, and you might need to modify the "template" files. copy these from the old server too.

again depending on the complexity of the site but you might find that after doing ^
that the majority of the site is copied over. if you grabbed the latest versions of the shopping cart you are using, the customer will have an upgraded site anyway.

shopping carts also need to either direct to a paypal account, or a seamless/non-seamless payment gateway, make sure you have that information first.

you'll probably need to ftp over the images and any pages. custom css, js etc...

So..., I think a straight ftp dump probably wouldn't be the best way to transfer it.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course though before I did that ^, I would inspect the current setup.
payment gateways, cms, crm, ssl, freight, categories/products.

If I didn't think what they currently were using was up to scratch I'd offer them an alternative (and throw in a redesign, if it needed it).

I'd copy over the assets I needed, and extract from the database.
then I'd rebuild on the new server.